If you’re looking for an annual-fee free cash back card that offers flat-rate rewards on every purchase, the Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® may be your next card — but it’s not the best fit for all spending habits.
This review will highlight some factors that make the Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® a great cash back option, as well as explore some drawbacks to consider as you make your choice.
- No annual fee
- $200 in cash rewards when you spend at least $1,000 on your Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® within 90 days of account opening
- 5% bonus each time you redeem cash back, eligible for use toward your next redemption
- 1.5% cash back rewards net of credits, returns, and adjustments
- 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers (made within 45 days of account opening) for the first 15 billing cycles, after which the APR increases to 15.99%, 20.99%, or 25.99%
At a glance
Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard®
on Barclaycard's website
- Get a $200 cash rewards bonus after you spend $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days after account opening
- Earn unlimited 1.5% cash rewards on every purchase
- Every time you redeem, get a 5% cash rewards redemption bonus to use toward your next redemption
- Redeem your cash rewards for a deposit into a U.S. checking or savings account, a statement credit or gift cards. Redemptions start at $50
- Cash rewards do not expire as long as your account is open, active and in good standing
- Enjoy a 0% introductory APR for the first 15 months on purchases. Plus, you'll get a 0% introductory APR for 15 months on balance transfers for each balance transfer made within 45 days of account opening. After that a variable APR will apply, 15.99%, 20.99% or 25.99%, based on your creditworthiness. Please note, there is a fee for balance transfers
- No annual fee
1.5% Cash Back
Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® deep dive
The Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® is a solid cash back card that offers cardholders rewards on every purchase, bonus rewards whenever you redeem, and an introductory offer for both APR and bonus cash back. This review will help you decide whether it’s the right card for you and your spending habits.
Get it: If you want a cash back card that rewards you well for every purchase, regardless of spending category, and you’re not willing to pay an annual fee for a better rewards rate
While some cash back cards shine for elevated rewards rates in specific categories, the Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® offers a flat rate for all your purchases, making it a better fit for someone who spends their money in a variety of categories, rather than those whose spending is more concentrated in categories such as groceries, gas, or travel.
Lastly, a 0% introductory APR for 15 billing cycles makes the Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® a good option for those looking to finance a large purchase interest-free or to get a break from high-interest credit card debt with a balance transfer.
Some of the benefits of the Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® include:
- Annual fee-free: Never worry about paying an annual fee with the Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard®
- Unlimited rewards on all your purchases: Enjoy 1.5% cash back on all retail purchases made on your Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® fewer credits, returns, and adjustments
- A welcome bonus you’ll love: Spend $1,000 on your card within the first 90 days of opening the account, and you’ll receive a $200 cash rewards bonus
- A rewards boost every time you redeem: Each time you redeem cash back, you’ll receive a 5% bonus towards your next redemption. For example, if you redeem $100 in cash rewards, you’ll receive an additional $5 on your next redemption
- Zero APR for 15 billing cycles: With this card, receive 0% introductory APR for the first 15 billing cycles, both for purchases and for balance transfers. Balance transfers must post to the account within 45 days of account opening to be eligible. After 15 billing cycles, the APR will be 15.00%, 20.99% or 25.99%, based on your creditworthiness
Skip it: If you need a card for international travel or would like bonus rewards for categories where you spend a lot
If you’re a big traveler looking for a card to take abroad, chances are you’d be better suited to a card that doesn’t charge for international transactions, and rewards you for travel-related purchases. Despite having “World” in its name, The Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® doesn’t fit this bill.
In addition, those who spend significantly in certain categories may be better served by a card that offers higher rewards rates in these categories, as opposed to a decent rate across the board.
Consider these drawbacks of the Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard®:
- Not for carrying a balance: Outside of the year one 0% APR introductory offer, the Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® carries a relatively high-interest rate—particularly if you don’t have stellar credit. If you tend to hold a credit card balance month-over-month, you might be better off with a lower interest rate card
- Cash back redemption starts at $50: Compared with some other cards on the market, cash back redemption with the Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® starts at $50, which may not be ideal for frugal spenders as you’ll have to spend more than $3,000 before redeeming any cash back (not including sign-up or redemption bonuses). Plus, while you do earn a 5% bonus when you redeem, you’ll have to wait until your next redemption to cash in on it
- No category-specific rewards: If you spend big in certain categories more than others (such as groceries, gas, dining out, etc.), it may be worth looking for a card that offers elevated cash back rates in these categories. While 1.5% across the board is great for a no-fee card, you may further maximize your rewards by focusing on where you’re spending most of your money
- Not for international travel: Purchases made abroad on the Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® will be charged a 3% fee after conversion to USD, making this not an ideal card for those looking to use their card when they travel
Between 1.5% cash back rewards on all purchases, a rewards boost every time you redeem cash back, and a nice cash welcome bonus, the Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® provides great value considering its lack of an annual fee. But it won’t maximize cash back rewards for everyone, such as for cardholders who spend more significantly in certain categories.
No matter which type of credit card you’re looking for, it’s a good idea to compare your options to find the card that best fits your financial profile and spending habits. The Credible credit card comparison tool does the hard work for you, pulling in data on hundreds of credit cards and recommending the cards that will maximize your rewards.