A travel rewards card with no annual fee? For frequent travelers and loyal Delta customers, the brand new Blue Delta SkyMiles® Card from American Express is a hard offer to beat.
The Blue Delta SkyMiles® Card offers bonus points on airfare and any money spent on dining out at restaurants, as well as a welcome offer of 10,000 miles after you spend just $500 within the first three months of card membership.
Read on to learn more about the Blue Delta SkyMiles® Card and see if this is the right credit card for you.
- Limited time offer: win a food-focused trip to Nashville! To enter, post a photo and caption on Instagram or Twitter describing why you should win the trip, with the hashtags #DeltaAmexBlue and #Contest between September 7 and 11:59 pm PST on October 12, 2017
- 10,000 bonus miles after spending $500 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership
- No annual fee
- 2x miles per dollar at US restaurants and on purchases made directly with Delta; 1x miles per dollar on all other purchases, like gas, groceries, entertainment, or your phone bill.
- 20% savings in the form of a statement credit when you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets
At a glance
Blue Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express
- Earn 10,000 bonus miles after spending $500 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- No Annual Fee.
- Earn 2 miles per dollar at US restaurants.
- Earn 2 miles per dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta. Earn 1 mile on every eligible dollar spent on purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Terms Apply.
1 Mile Per Dollar
Blue Delta SkyMiles® Card from American Express deep dive
The Blue Delta SkyMiles® Card is a good bet for travelers looking to start earning rewards on travel. With no annual fee and a 10,000-mile welcome offer, this is a card worth taking a second look at.
Limited time offerAnd there’s more good news for all the foodies out there. To celebrate the launch of the card, American Express is offering an opportunity to win a fully paid food-focused trip Nashville.
The prize includes:
- Round-trip flights to Nashville with Delta (or ground transportation if the winner is from the city)
- A four-night Airbnb stay awarded in the form of a $2,500 coupon code
- Six dining experiences at select Nashville restaurants up to $500 per meal
- $400 worth of Lyft ride credits for the trip
- Blue Away luggage pieces for the winner
Post a photo and caption on Instagram or Twitter describing why you should win the trip, with the hashtags #DeltaAmexBlue and #Contest between September 7 and 11:59 pm PST on October 12, 2017, for a chance to win!
Get it: If you’re a casual traveler who doesn’t travel enough to want to pay an annual fee, but still wants to earn points when you do travel
If you’re a casual traveler, or you don’t travel frequently enough to justify a card with an annual fee, the Blue Delta SkyMiles® Card might be right up your alley.
The Blue Delta SkyMiles card offers double miles for spending at U.S. restaurants and flights booked with Delta, as well as the ability to earn points on everyday purchases (including gas!), all with no annual fee.
Some of the benefits of the Blue Delta SkyMiles® Card from American Express include:
- 10,000 point welcome offer: New cardholders who spend at least $500 within three months of account opening will receive 10,000 bonus points
- Bonus points for travel and restaurant purchases in addition to 1X points on other everyday purchases: Airfare purchases with Delta as well as restaurant purchases qualify for 2x miles for every dollar spent, while gas and other everyday purchases all receive 1x points per dollar
- No annual fee: A rarity with travel rewards cards, the Blue Delta SkyMiles® Card has no annual fee
- In-flight savings on Delta: Using your Blue Delta SkyMiles® Card to buy food, drinks or other eligible purchases while on board a Delta flight will earn you 20% savings in the form of a statement credit
Skip it: If you already have another Delta loyalty card or you’d prefer the flexibility to earn rewards with a variety of airlines
Those who already have a credit card that earns them rewards with Delta, or have a higher end travel card, might notice some perks missing with the Blue Delta SkyMiles® Card.
The new card doesn’t offer cardholders priority boarding, free baggage check or airport lounge privileges offered with other Delta cards. Unlike the Delta Platinum, for example, cardholders will not receive a companion pass with the Blue Delta SkyMiles® Card.
Consider the drawbacks of the Blue Delta SkyMiles® Card from American Express:
- No higher-end perks: Unlike with some other premium travel rewards cards, with the Blue Delta SkyMiles® Card you won’t be able to take advantage of priority boarding, free baggage check or airport lounge privileges
- American Express isn’t universally accepted: Merchants have to pay more per swipe to accept American Express, so you might find that some of your favorite small businesses don’t accept your new Amex
- Low welcome offer: While 10,000 miles isn’t an offer to scoff at, some other travel cards offer significantly higher welcome offers for those willing to pay an annual fee
For casual travelers, the Blue Delta SkyMiles® Card from American Express can be a great way to earn points on travel, as well as on everyday purchases, without having to shell out an annual fee.
This could be a great stepping stone towards higher-end travel rewards cards, but if you’re looking for a card that offers higher welcome offers, or one with a higher rewards rate, you might want to check out reviews of some other travel cards.