Citibank is a partner of Credible.
Loyal American Airlines travelers looking for premium treatment when they fly with American should consider the Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard. With a generous welcome bonus and perks like complimentary lounge access and checked bags, this card can help make travel more enjoyable.
That said, the AAdvantage Executive World Elite card comes with a significant annual fee, so it isn’t the best option for every traveler. Continue reading for our synopsis of this card’s perks, as well as some drawbacks to consider.
- Full membership access privileges to Admirals Club® lounges for the primary cardholder and up to two companions, and access privileges for authorized card users
- Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- A statement credit of up to $100 every five years as a reimbursement for fees associated with applying for Global Entry or TSA Pre√ ®
- Complimentary first checked bag for you and up to eight companions on your reservation and traveling with you on domestic flights operated by American Airlines or American Eagle®
- 10,000 AAdvantage® Elite Qualifying Miles when you spend at least $40,000 in a calendar year
- Two AAdvantage miles per dollar spent on qualified American Airlines purchases, and one point per dollar on all other purchases
At a glance
Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard®
on Citibank's website
- Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- Admirals Club® membership for you and guests with you*
- Complimentary Admirals Club® lounge access for authorized users
- Earn 10,000 AAdvantage® Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) after you spend $40,000 in purchases within the year*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases and 1 AAdvantage® mile for every $1 spent on other purchases*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to eight companions traveling with you on the same reservation*
1 Mile Per Dollar
(Waived first year)
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard deep dive
The Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard offers frequent American Airlines travelers premium benefits like lounge access, but it comes with a hefty annual fee—so it’s a good idea to fully understand whether its perks make it worth it for your spending habits.
Get it: If you’re a frequent American Airlines traveler looking for premium treatment and a generous welcome bonus
From a complimentary Admirals Club® Membership, to complimentary checked bags, to the opportunity to reach elite status sooner, the Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard offers American Airline-loyal travelers extra opportunities to enjoy luxury perks as a reward for their spending.
In addition, the current welcome bonus for new cardmembers is 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® miles, so now is a good time to sign up if you think the Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard is the right card for you.
Some of the benefits of the Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard include:
- A welcome bonus to write home about: The current bonus is 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® miles after spending $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. This bonus is not available to anyone who has opened or closed a Citi® / AAdvantage® card in the past two years
- Complimentary Admirals Club® Membership: Cardmembers enjoy full membership access privileges to Admirals Club® lounges, and may be accompanied by up to two guests. Authorized card users receive full lounge access, but not membership, privileges
- Skip security lines: Take advantage of a statement credit of up to $100 every five years as a reimbursement for Global Entry or TSA Pre√ ® application fees
- Double miles for American Airlines purchases: Eligible American Airlines purchases are awarded two AAdvantage® miles per dollar spent. All other purchases receive one mile per dollar
- Get to AAdvantage elite status sooner: Earn 10,000 AAdvantage® Elite Qualifying Miles for each year you spend at least $40,000 on your Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite card. You’ll need at least 25,000 Elite Qualifying Miles to qualify for the lowest status tier
- Complimentary checked bags: Complimentary check in for your first bag and for up to eight companions listed on your reservation and traveling with you. This benefit is only available for domestic flights operated by American Airlines or American Eagle®
Skip it: If you’re not a frequent American Airlines traveler, or you’re looking for a low-cost travel rewards card
While some cards with significant annual fees offer much higher rewards rates, the Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite card benefits are more focused on luxury perks such as lounge access, as the maximum miles you can earn on this card are two per dollar spent. If you’re looking for a card that maximizes your rewards, you may be better off with a card that offers higher rewards rates.
In addition, those who prefer to shop around for flights or who fly to airports not served by American Airlines may prefer a card that offers more flexibility. As you might expect, the Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite card is most valuable when you travel with American Airlines.
Be sure to consider the drawbacks of the Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard:
- Hefty annual fee: An annual fee of $450 puts the AAdvantage Executive World Elite card among the more expensive travel cards out there, so it’s well worth doing the math to make sure you’ll take advantage of at least this much in benefits each year. There are plenty of travel rewards cards that have a low or no annual fee and great benefits, so don’t feel like you’re limited to high-fee cards
- Not for poor credit: You’ll need excellent credit to qualify for this card
- So-so rewards rate: For a card that charges $450 per year, a rewards rate of two miles per dollar spent is comparatively low. The Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite card focuses more on value-add perks like lounge access, so if you’re looking to maximize rewards earning, you may be better off looking elsewhere
- Not for carrier-hoppers: If you’re not a loyal American Airlines traveler, this card may not be worth it for you. For a similar annual fee, there are alternate cards that allow you to earn and redeem miles for travel on multiple airlines
If you already travel frequently on American Airlines and are looking for a way to boost your AAdvantage miles earning, as well as benefit from extra perks when you travel, the Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard could be a great way to get the most from your spending.
Those who travel with multiple airlines or who are more concerned with maximizing their miles earnings rather than enjoying premium treatment, on the other hand, may be better served by a different card. Regardless of your spending habits and rewards goals, be sure to shop around as you compare credit cards to find the best fit for you.® AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® Review"/>