If you’re somebody who likes to try all of the hottest restaurants and never wants to miss a great show, the Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card might be just the rewards card for you.
The popular card earns you 2 ThankYou® rewards points for every $1 spent on dining out and entertainment and 1 point on all other purchases.
- Earn 2X reward points for every $1 spent on dining out and entertainment, and 1 reward point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Points do not expire
- No annual fee
- 0% introductory APR for 15 months after account opening for balance transfers and purchases
At a glance
Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card
on Citibank's website
- Enjoy 0% Intro APR on purchases for 15 months from date of account opening and 0% Intro APR on balance transfers for 15 months from date of first transfer; after that, the variable APR will be 14.49% - 24.49% based upon your creditworthiness*
- There is a balance transfer fee of either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater*
- Earn 2X Points on Dining Out & Entertainment
- Earn 1X Points on All Other Purchases
- Points are redeemable for gift cards to popular retailers, restaurants, and department and home stores. 2,500 ThankYou® Points can be redeemed for a $25 gift card at thankyou.com
- No expiration and no limit to the amount of points you can earn with this card
- No annual fee*
1 Point Per Dollar
Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card deep dive
For individuals who frequently dine out, spend a lot on entertainment, and want a card that will reward them for doing so, the Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card is hard to beat. But those who prefer home cooking and Netflix to a night on the town might want to consider a card that rewards other areas of spending.
Get it: If your idea of a good time means never passing up a chance for a good meal or stellar show
The Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card is great for those who like to treat themselves. Cardholders can earn 2x rewards points for every dollar spent on dining out, including restaurants, bars, and lounges, and on entertainment spending like visits to the theatre, concerts, sporting events, amusement parks, movies, and more. All other purchases made with the card will earn 1 point per dollar spent.
Are you a frequent traveler? Cardholders can also transfer the points they earn to Citi’s TrueBlue® program to earn flights faster (the minimum amount transfer is 1,000 points).
Some of the benefits of the Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card include:
- Use points for eligible purchases on Amazon.com through the Shop with Points program
- No annual fee
- 0% introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months after opening your account. After that, you will pay a variable APR of 14.49% to 24.49% based on your creditworthiness
- Citi Price Rewind: If you make a purchase with your card, search through Citi Price Rewind to make sure that the item was not available at an online merchant for a lower price. If the item is found at a lower price with 60 days of purchase, you may receive the difference
- Citi Private Pass®: Have special access to purchase special tickets to concerts, sporting events, dining experiences, movie screenings, and more
- No Liability: You won’t be held accountable for unauthorized purchases made with your card
- Purchase Protection: Purchases are protected against theft or damage for 120 days after the purchase date (90 days for residents of New York). The card also extends the manufacturer’s warranty when used on eligible purchases
- Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance: Cover yourself from accidents while you are traveling by paying for your trip with your Citi card
- Trip Cancellation and Interruption Protection: If you need to cancel or reschedule your trip, you may be reimbursed for non-refundable trip expenses and change fees, so long as you paid for the trip with your Citi card
- Worldwide Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver: You’ll be covered against theft or damage to your rental car when you pay for your rental with your Citi card and decline the rental company’s insurance
Skip it: If you do not spend a lot of money on dining out or entertainment, if you’re looking for a cash back card, or you don’t have excellent credit
While the Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card has a 0% introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months after account opening, this jumps up to a 14.49% to 24.49% variable APR based on your creditworthiness after the introductory period is over. Individuals with less than great credit might do well to find a card with a lower maximum APR.
Additionally, balance transfers incur a fee of $5 or 3% of the amount transferred, whichever is higher, and the card does not have an introductory period during which time the fee is waived, so if you’re looking to transfer the debt you’ve accrued on your other credit cards, you may want to look elsewhere for a card that waives balance transfer fees during the introductory period.
The Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card also isn’t the best card to use to withdraw money, since you’ll be charged a cash advance fee of 5% of each transaction or $10, whichever is greater. You will pay a variable APR of 26.24% on cash advances, and when you use this card to get a cash advance, you start paying interest on that money right away.
If you are prone to wanderlust, you may be dissatisfied with the foreign transaction fees you’ll need to pay when you use your card outside the US: foreign transactions incur a penalty of 3% of each transaction (in US dollars), which can add up over an extended trip.
Consider these drawbacks of the Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card:
- Only 1 point per $1 spent on any purchase not included in the dining out or entertainment categories
- Some exemptions do apply to the dining out and entertainment categories: You won’t earn 2X Points for purchases made at bakeries, certain restaurants/cafes inside department, grocery or warehouse stores, sporting camps, public and private golf courses, country clubs (including membership fees), stores that sell musical instruments, video game arcades, bowling alleys, stores that primarily sell video games/accessories, charitable organizations that provide live entertainment, bookstores, and sports complexes where you participate in the sport
- Not a travel-friendly card: Travelers who frequently find themselves out of the United States may want to find a different card. Foreign transactions incur a 3% fee
- Medium to high-interest rate: With a variable APR of 14.49% to 24.49% on purchases and balance transfers after the introductory 15 months, this is not a card that you want to carry a balance on. And if for any reason you miss a payment, you may lose your introductory APR and be subject to a penalty APR of 29.99%
- Not great for withdrawing money: The Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card isn’t a great card to use for withdrawing money since you’ll be charged a cash advance fee of $10 or 5% of the transaction, whichever is greater. It also has a 26.24% variable APR for cash advances, and when you use this card to get a cash advance, you start paying interest on that money right away
If you are looking for a rewards card and dine out frequently or spend a lot of money on entertainment, the Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card might be the card for you. But if you don’t spend too much in those categories, are a frequent traveler, or regularly make use of cash advances, you might want to check out some other cards.