American Express is a partner of Credible. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Interested in the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express? This review will help you decide if it’s the right card for you.
A great travel rewards option for those who don’t mind an annual fee or airline restrictions, the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card offers a generous welcome offer value, unlimited opportunities to earn points and a slew of extra travel and shopping-related benefits.
- Annual fee waived for year one; in subsequent years, the annual fee increases to $95
- Earn 30,000 Bonus Miles after spending $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months
- No limit on the number of points that can be earned
- Additional travel and shopping benefits such as purchase protection and free checked bags when you fly on Delta
At a glance
Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express
- Earn 30,000 Bonus Miles after spending $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
- Earn 2 miles on every dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta. Earn 1 mile for every eligible dollar spent on purchases.
- Check your first bag free on every Delta flight - that's a savings of up to $200 per round trip for a family of four.
- Settle into your seat sooner with Priority Boarding.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply.
1 Mile Per Dollar
(Waived first year)
Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express deep dive
While credit cards tied to airlines aren’t the most flexible, they do provide many benefits—and the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card is no exception. Below we’ll outline when it might be the right card for you, and when to look elsewhere.
Get it: If you’re a frequent traveler looking for extra perks when you travel and a nice welcome offer when you open the card—and you don’t mind being restricted to certain airlines for points, bonuses, and redemptions
While this card offers point redemption through Delta or any of their 15+ partner airlines, its value is maximized when you make frequent purchases from Delta, which are awarded bonus points. Those who make frequent trips between locations where Delta flies are therefore best positioned to fully take advantage of what this card offers.
Some of the benefits of the American Express Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card include:
- Generous welcome offer value: New cardholders can earn 30,000 Bonus Miles after spending $1,000 in purchases in the first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after they make a Delta purchase with their new Card within the first 3 months
- No annual fee for the first year: The Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card offers a waived annual fee for year one. The fee increases to $95 per year thereafter
- Delta travel benefits beyond points: In addition to earning 2x miles on purchases with Delta, cardholders receive free checked bags, airfare discounts, discounted access to Delta Sky Club® lounges, and more when they fly with Delta
- Unlimited opportunities to earn miles: All purchases made on the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card earn miles (2 miles on purchases with Delta, 1 mile for everything else ), and there is no limit to how many miles can be earned. Miles can be applied to travel with Delta or a number of airline partners
- Shopping and entertainment benefits: In addition to the Delta travel-related benefits of this card, cardholders receive purchase benefits such as extended warranty, theft and damage protection, as well as ticket pre-sales for certain events
Keep in mind that Terms and Restrictions apply to all card benefits, so be sure to read up before starting to use your new card.
Skip it: If you’re looking for more general travel rewards, would rather not pay an annual fee, or would like more point redemption options
While all purchases on the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card are eligible to receive one mile, Delta transactions receive two. Those who travel a lot to locations that Delta does not serve, or are partial to another airline, may, therefore, be better offer with a card that awards miles for purchases with other airlines.
In addition, rewards on this card are redeemable specifically for airfares, so it may not be the best fit if you want more flexibility with your miles, or if you don’t travel often.
Consider these drawbacks of the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express:
- No escaping the annual fee here: This card does come with an annual fee of $95 after the first year. This is a smaller fee than some other American Express cards carry, but still enough that it’s worth making sure you’ll cash in on enough card benefits to counterbalance the fee
- Airline limitations: Some other travel rewards cards offer both bonus points for all airfare purchases and point redemption on your airline of choice. With the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express, however, bonus points are only awarded for purchases with Delta—and points can only be redeemed through Delta and their partners
- Not a good option for carrying a balance: It’s generally not a great idea to carry a balance on any card, as credit card rates tend to be higher than for other sources of capital (like a personal loan).
- Not for one-card shoppers: American Express is generally accepted by fewer merchants, so if you’d rather keep it simple with one card, you may be better off choosing a Visa or MasterCard, which will typically be accepted by merchants with limited options
- Only valuable for travelers: Rewards points are only as good as what you can redeem them for, and this card only allows you to exchange your points for air travel—which is not an ideal option for those who don’t fly often
For those looking for travel rewards associated with specific airlines and extra travel perks (particularly when traveling with Delta), the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card may be a good fit. If your spending and travel habits require a card with more flexibility, a travel rewards card not associated with an airline may be a better fit.® Credit Card from American Express Review"/>