American Express is a partner of Credible. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
The Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card from American Express offers serious bonus points for stays at the brand’s hotels and resorts, as well as for a number of everyday purchases, making it a great option for loyal Hilton customers.This review will go over some benefits of the Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card, plus consider some drawbacks specific to fees, rewards offerings, and foreign transactions.
- Purchases with participating Hilton hotels and resorts earn 12X Hilton Honors Bonus points; spending at U.S. gas stations, supermarkets, and restaurants (excluding superstores and warehouse clubs) earns 6X points; purchases of other goods and services earn 3X points (not including fees, interest charges, cash advances, travelers checks, and other cash equivalents)
- Earn 75,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 in purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership
- 500 Hilton Honors bonus points for online Hilton reservations paid for with your Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card from American Express™ Card
- Complimentary upgrade to Diamond status when you spend at least $40,000 on your card per calendar year, which lasts through the end of the following year
At a glance
Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card from American Express
- Earn 75,000 Hilton Honors™ Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 in purchases on the Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 12X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases charged on your Card directly with a participating hotel or resort within the Hilton Portfolio.
- Earn 6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases on your Card at U.S. restaurants, U.S. supermarkets, and U.S. gas stations.
- Earn 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases on your Card.
- As a Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card Member, you'll receive Hilton Honors™ Gold status.
- Planning a road trip? Rent your car, fill up your tank, book your hotel, and pay for it with your American Express® Card.
- Spend $40,000 on eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year and you can earn Hilton Honors Diamond status through the end of the next calendar year.
- Terms Apply.
3 Points Per Dollar
Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card from American Express deep dive
The Amex Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card is a good option for loyal Hilton guests who want to gain the maximum rewards from their stays with the hotel, as well as for a number of everyday purchases.
Get it: If you frequently stay at Hilton hotels and resorts and don’t mind paying an annual fee to get the most Hilton Honors points possible
Compared to the Hilton Honors™ Card, the annual fee on this card affords you the opportunity to accrue even more points—particularly for purchases from Hilton—as well as an increased chance of achieving Gold and Diamond Hilton Honors status tiers.
Some of the benefits of the Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card include:
- Hilton Honors bonus points on nearly all purchases: All purchases on the Amex Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card card earn points, with the exception of account fees, cash advances, prepaid cards, and other cash equivalents. Each dollar of eligible purchases made with participating hotels and resorts in the Hilton Portfolio earns 12X points, and purchases with gas stations, supermarkets, and restaurants in the U.S. (not including superstores or warehouse clubs) earn 6X points.
- Purchases for other goods and service earn 3X Hilton Honors points
- Bonus points for tech-savvy guests: Receive 500 Hilton Honors bonus points when you book a stay with Hilton online and pay with your Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card
- Diamond status when you spend: Cardholders who spend at least $40,000 on their Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card per calendar year are upgraded to Hilton Honors Diamond status that lasts through the following calendar year
- Extra travel and shopping perks: Beyond Hilton-associated bonuses and rewards, cardholders receive a number of additional perks for traveling and shopping, such as loss and damage insurance for rental cars, extended warranty, and return protection for purchases made on the Amex Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card
Additional Terms and Restrictions apply, so please read them to fully understand the benefits and limitations of this card.
Skip it: If you’re not a big Hilton-goer and you’re looking for a card with no annual fee
The Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card is no exception to the general rule that elevated rewards tend to be accompanied by an annual fee. In order to make the fee worth it, you’ll want to pay for frequent Hilton visits on your Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card, so those looking to hop between different hotel brands may be better off with a general travel rewards card that offers points for any travel purchase, regardless of the merchant.
Consider these drawbacks of the Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card:
- An annual fee: The Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card comes with an annual fee of $75, so it’s probably not a fit if you don’t think you’ll take advantage of its benefits
- Foreign transactions will cost you: While you can use this card at Hilton hotels and resorts worldwide (and be rewarded for doing so!), foreign transactions aren’t fee-free. After conversion to USD, you’ll be charged a fee of 2.7% for each transaction made abroad
- Highest point bonus reserved for Hilton purchases: The highest level of points on this card is awarded for purchases with Hilton. Accordingly, if you’re not a frequent guest of Hilton hotels and resorts, you won’t be maximizing its value. On a similar note, one main difference between this and the no-fee Hilton Honors™ Card is bonus points for Hilton purchases (12X vs. 7X); this card awards one more point per dollar for U.S. supermarket, gas station, and restaurant purchases (6X vs. 5X), and both cards award 3X points for the remainder of purchases
- Points are best redeemed with Hilton: While the Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card does offer the option to redeem points for a variety of purchases and experiences, the best value is typically for free nights with Hilton, so this may not be the card for you if you’re looking to redeem rewards in the form of flights or other purchases.
If maximizing the number of Hilton Honors bonus points earned for your Hilton hotel and resort stays is your goal, the Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card from American Express can help. But 12X bonus points don’t come free, as this card does charge an annual fee. If you’re looking for a card that doesn’t charge a fee or one that offers a variety of point accrual and redemption options, take a look at some other cards.