Flexibility and simplicity are the hallmarks of every great travel rewards credit card, and the Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite MasterCard® is one of the best. With the Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite MasterCard® you earn 2x points on every dollar you spend. And those miles can be redeemed for any travel purchase your heart desires.
If you are looking for a great cash back card that makes it easy to earn and even easier to redeem miles, look no further!
- 2x miles on every purchase you make; that’s 2 miles for every $1 spent
- 40,000 bonus miles, after you spend $3,000 in the first 90 days (for first time members opening a new account)
- No annual fee in the first year ($89 per year for subsequent years)
- 5% miles back to use toward your next redemption every time you redeem
- Redemptions are easy; redeem your miles against any purchase you make in the travel category (or, redeem for statement credits, gift cards or merchandise)
At a glance
Barclaycard Arrival® Plus World Elite Mastercard®
on Barclaycard's website
- Enjoy 60,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 90 days and paying the annual fee
- Earn unlimited 2X miles on every purchase
- Book travel your way—no airline, seat or hotel restrictions—and redeem your miles for travel statement credits
- Get 5% miles back to use toward your next redemption, every time you redeem
- No foreign transaction fees
- International Chip and PIN for use at self-service chip terminals around the world
- Miles don’t expire as long as your account is open, active and in good standing
2 Miles Per Dollar
Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite MasterCard® deep dive
Unlike many other leading cards in the space, Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite MasterCard® miles can be redeemed towards purchases for anything from airlines and hotels to cruise lines, trains and even Airbnb, to name but a few. Travel statement credit redemptions can be used against travel related purchases made within the last 120 days. This offers a level of flexibility that most travel credit cards do not.
Earning these valuable miles is even easier than redeeming them. You will simply earn 2x miles on every single dollar you spend.
Get it: If you love to travel but hate dealing with complicated and restrictive redemptions
Some of the benefits of the Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite MasterCard® include:
- Significant Sign-up Bonus: You will earn 40,000 bonus miles when you spend $3,000 in the first 90 days. This is a category leading benefit that equates to a $400 travel statement credit. Very few cash back cards offer such a substantial sign-up bonus
- Get rewarded for redemptions: Yep, you read that right. Unlike many other travel credit cards that make redeeming miles a nightmare, Barclaycard actually rewards you every time you redeem your miles by giving you back 5% of the miles you redeem
- Double Points: You will receive 2 miles for every $1 you spend
- Flexibility: You don’t have to worry about airline reward seat availability or the whether the hotel you want to stay at accepts your miles. With Barclaycard, you can use your miles for any purchase you make in the travel category. Not only does that include every airline and hotel, but also cruise lines, buses, trains, Uber, Airbnb and so many others.
Travel accident and trip cancellation insurance: Should the worst happen before or while you are traveling, you can rest easy knowing that you will be reimbursed for cancellation or change fees if your trip is interrupted or canceled for a covered reason
- No Expiry: As long as your account remains open, active and in good standing, your miles are good. So if you want to save up for a trip of a lifetime, you can take as long as you like. Your miles aren’t going anywhere
- 0% Balance Transfers: Got an outstanding balance on another credit card? You can transfer that balance to Barclaycard and enjoy a 0% Introductory APR for 12 months for each balance transfer posted to your account within 45 days of opening your account. After that, your creditworthiness determines your variable APR (currently 17.24%, 21.24% or 24.24% variable)
- No foreign transaction fees: Spend your money on the good stuff while traveling overseas and don’t worry about getting hit with costly foreign transaction fees
- Complimentary online FICO® score: Keep track of your credit score online with Barclaycard
- Annual Fee Waived: All of these great benefits won’t cost you a dime in your first year as the annual fee is waived. In subsequent years, the annual fee is a relatively low $89 per year
Skip it: While the Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite MasterCard® offers many great benefits, it’s not for everyone
If you are someone who does not spend much on travel, you may find it difficult to redeem your miles for maximum value. As mentioned above, to get the most value, reward redemptions are in the form of a travel statement credit used against a specific travel expense.
Consider these drawbacks of the Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite MasterCard®:
If you want to redeem the points for non-travel related statement credits, gift cards or merchandise your return will be 50% less. For example, the minimum redemption for a gift card is 5,000 miles for $25. Compare that to the minimum travel statement redemption of 10,000 for $100 and you’ll note that your return is 50% less.
- You don’t care about travel: Let’s face it, not everybody wants to use their points for travel. This is essentially a cash back card that will only give you cash back if you spend money on travel. There are other cards on offer that will give you a set percentage cash back every month without the need to redeem against travel expenses
- Miles must be redeemed for travel statement credits: Cardholders can only redeem points for travel statement credits, and not directly for travel related purchases. So you’ll need to remember to go back and use your statement credits against travel related purchases
- No travel partners: Miles can only be used for travel statement credits, gift cards, and merchandise. So if you like to earn miles that you can transfer to airline and hotel loyalty programs, this is not the card for you
- Difficult to get approved: If your credit isn’t the best, you may want to look at other options. Usually, you will need to have ‘excellent’ credit (a score between 720 and 850) to get approved for this card
- Expensive cash advance: If you want to withdraw cash from your Barclaycard, you will be charged a hefty 26.49% variable APR. And remember, they will start charging you from the day you withdraw the money
- Annual fee: Although the annual fee is waived for the first year, you will be charged $89 per year after that. While there are many cards with substantially higher fees, there are also other options that are fee free
If you love to travel and want flexibility and simplicity when redeeming miles, Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite MasterCard® is the card for you. If however, travel is not your priority or you prefer to have the option to transfer points to airline or hotel loyalty programs you should compare some of the other great options available through the Credible comparison tool here.