If you have good to excellent credit, and you’re in the market for a great cash back card, it’s a no brainer to consider Discover.
The Discover it® Cashback Match™, with its fantastic Cashback Match™ program that doubles your cash back at the end of your first year, no annual fee, and award-winning customer service is one of the best cards around.
- New! Cardholders can now redeem the cash back rewards they earn on qualified purchases via Apple Pay
- New! Receive FREE Social Security number alerts—Discover will monitor thousands of risky websites when you sign up
- INTRO OFFER: Discover will match ALL the cash back earned at the end of your first year, automatically, only available to new cardholders
- Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Amazon.com, or wholesale clubs up to the quarterly maximum each time you activate
- Earn 1% cash back on all other purchases
- Use your rewards instantly at Amazon.com checkout
- No annual fee or foreign transaction fees
- 0% intro APR on Purchases and Balance Transfers for 14 months
- Get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more
At a glance
Discover it® - Cashback Match™
- Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Amazon.com, or wholesale clubs up to the quarterly maximum each time you activate.
- Earn 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- INTRO OFFER: Discover will match ALL the cash back earned at the end of your first year, automatically.
- Redeem your cash back for any amount, any time. Cash rewards never expire.
- Use your rewards instantly at Amazon.com checkout.
- No annual fee.
- Click "APPLY NOW" to see rates, rewards, FICO® Credit Score terms, Cashback Match™ details & other information.
1% Cash Back
Discover it® Cashback Match™ deep dive
The Discover it® Cashback Match™ card is all about how and when you use it, and the primary value of this card is in the 5% cash back program. Planning your purchases based on the categories listed each quarter can help you earn 5% cash back on the first $1,500 you spend at those category retailers each quarter (but remember, you must enroll in the cash back program on a quarterly basis to start earning the cash back.
Not only will spending on rotating categories such as home improvement and wholesale clubs get you cash back, all your cash back will be matched dollar-for-dollar at the end of your first year.
The best part is that the cash back you earn never expires as long as your account is open and in good standing. You can redeem your cash back as a statement credit to your account, or even make a donation to your favorite charity.
Enjoy some peace of mind with Discover; you’re automatically protected against fraudulent charges on your Discover card and Discover will monitor your Social Security Number and alert you if your SSN is found on any of thousands of risky websites.
Get it: If you have good to excellent credit and you’re looking for a card with no annual fee, that you plan to use a lot in the first year, and great customer service is important to you
Some of the benefits of the Discover it® Cashback Match™ include:
- Cashback Match™: dollar-for-dollar match of all the cash back you’ve earned at the end of your first year, automatically. That means that all your cash back, whether it’s on the 5% categories or the regular 1% cash back from regular spending, will be doubled at the end of your first year. That gives you the potential to earn 10% cash back on the rotating quarterly categories up to a maximum of $6,000, plus 2% cash back on other general spending categories. This double cash back deal only applies to new members and only for their first year, but it’s still a great opportunity that, at least for year one, blows all other cash back cards out of the water
- No minimum spend requirement: Most bonus offers are contingent upon you spending a minimum amount within a certain period of time. Discover has no minimum required spend, which means that, as long as you’re a new member, Discover will match whatever amount you spend in the first year
- Free of fees: No annual fee, no over limit fee, no foreign transaction fees, and no late fee on your first late payment
- Free FICO score: Get your FICO Credit Score for free with your monthly statements. As a cardholder, you can access your FICO score from TransUnion or from Experian online or on your mobile device
- Access to Discover Deals: Cardholders get access to Discover Deals, the company’s online retail portal, which allows card holders to make purchases from a variety of online vendors such as Apple, Best Buy, Nordstrom Rack, and Enterprise car rental, among many others. When you make a purchase through Discover Deals, you qualify for 5% to 20% cash back
- Superior customer service: Discover offers award-winning U.S.-based customer service that is available anytime
- 0% introductory APR: New cardholders get a 0% introductory APR for their first 14 months after being approved
- Redeem cash back with Apple Pay: Discover cardholders can now redeem the cash-back they earn on qualified purchases via Apple Pay. This is a great feature for cardholders looking for a quicker and easier way to redeem their cash back rewards
- 5% cash back on rotating categories: 5% cash back on rotating quarterly categories (see calendar below), up to a quarterly maximum of $1,500, after registration. Plus, 1% cash back on other spending categories with no limit. 2018 bonus categories*:
- January – March 2018: Gas stations and wholesale clubs
- April – June 2018: Grocery stores
- July – September 2018: Restaurants
- October – December 2018: Amazon.com and wholesale clubs
*Take a look at the CashBack Program Terms on the Discover website for more details
If you frequently use a credit card to shop, you know it’s the little things that count. Discover also offers:
- Price Protection: If you make a qualifying purchase with your Discover card, and then find the same item at a lower price within 90 days, Discover will pay you the difference, up to $500
- Fraud Protection: Rest easy, you’re automatically protected against fraudulent charges on your Discover card
- Social Security Monitoring: Discover will monitor your Social Security Number. Get an alert if Discover finds your Social Security Number on any of thousands of risky websites
Skip it: If you don’t want to keep track of rotating cash back categories, or you’d rather earn points towards a particular airline or hotel
Consider these drawbacks of the Discover it® Cashback Match™:
- No immediate cash back bonus: Discover’s Cashback Match™ will double your cash back at the end of your first year, but some card holders may not want to wait that long
- No fixed categories: If you want to take advantage of Discover’s Cashback Match™ program, you need to keep track of the rotating categories. Those who just want flat-rate cash back on fixed categories might want to look elsewhere
- Enrollment required: Discover’s Cashback Match™ program is a fantastic opportunity that you don’t want to miss! In order to avail of the program, you must register and activate the 5% bonus categories at the beginning of each quarter. Activation is free, and you can register online through your account or over the phone
- Might be difficult to find vendors outside of the U.S.: Discover cards run on their own payment processing network, which means some vendors may not accept it This is increasingly rare in the U.S., where 98% of the vendors who accept credit cards accept Discover, but you might want to carry a backup card while traveling abroad, just in case
If you’re looking for a solid cash back credit card with a chance to maximize your cash back far beyond 5%, the Discover it® – Cashback Match™ with its double-cash back bonus and Discover Deals is hard to ignore. If, however, you’re looking to get a bonus sooner, you want a wider variety of categories to earn bonus cash on, or you prefer a flat-rate cash back card, there are plenty of options to choose from.® Cashback Match™ Review"/>