If you’re looking for an excuse to talk about your favorite NHL team every time you pay for something, the Discover it® NHL Card can help—not to mention that it can also help you earn up to 5% cash back on purchases.
Whether you’re dedicated to the Chicago Blackhawks or the Pittsburgh Penguins, read on for our review of where the Discover it® NHL Card shines, and when it might be better put on ice.
- New! Cardholders can now redeem the cash back rewards they earn on qualified purchases via Apple Pay
- No annual fee or foreign transaction fees
- Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Amazon.com, or wholesale clubs up to the quarterly maximum each time you activate. Plus, 1% cash back on all other purchases
- INTRO OFFER: Discover will match ALL the cash back earned at the end of your first year, automatically, only available to new cardholders
- 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for 14 months, after which the variable APR increases to between 12.24% and 24.24%
- Get 100% U.S. based customer service & get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more
- New! Receive FREE Social Security number alerts—Discover will monitor thousands of risky websites when you sign up
At a glance
NHL® Discover it® Card
- Choose your favorite team & show your pride - all 31 teams available. Save 10% at Shop.NHL.com and NHL.TV™.
- INTRO OFFER: Discover will match ALL the cash back earned at the end of your first year, automatically.
- Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Amazon.com, or wholesale clubs up to the quarterly maximum each time you activate. Plus, 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Get 100% U.S. based customer service & get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more.
- New! Receive FREE Social Security number alerts-Discover will monitor thousands of risky websites when you sign up.
- No annual fee.
- Click "APPLY NOW" to see rates, rewards, FICO® Credit Score terms, Cashback Match™ details & other information. ©NHL
1% Cash Back
Discover it® NHL Card deep dive
Pay attention, NHL fans: the Discover it® NHL Card allows you to show off your favorite team and earn cash back with every purchase. But it’s not for every NHL fan, so be sure to understand its pros and cons before making a decision.
Get it: If you’re an NHL fan who doesn’t mind varying your spending habits in order to take advantage of rotating rewards
Discover it® NHL cardmembers can access discounted NHL.TV™, not to mention choose their favorite team to be printed on their card. As with the Discover it® Card, Discover it® NHL cardholders can earn 5% cash back on rotating categories (on up to a quarterly maximum of $1,500).
This makes it a better fit for those who don’t mind optimizing their spending according to which category is currently offering bonus cash back. For example, you may want to put off a fresh paint job until the quarter in which home improvement purchases are rewarded at the elevated rate.
Some of the benefits of the Discover it® NHL Card include:
- 5% cash back in categories that rotate each quarter: Receive 5% cash back on up to a quarterly maximum of $1,500 when you activate for that quarter. Right now, you can earn 5% cash back at Amazon.com and Target
through December 2017. Future categories are announced ahead of the start of the quarter, allowing card members to plan their spending accordingly. Plus, spending in all other categories earns 1% cash back
- Automatic cash back match: After your first year with the Discover it® NHL Card, the cash back you’ve earned in the year will be matched. This offer is only valid for the first year and for new cardmembers
- Save on NHL.TV™: Use your Discover it® NHL Card for 10% off your NHL.TV™ subscription
- 14 interest-free months: The Discover it® NHL Card offers 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for 14 months. The variable APR increases to between 12.24% and 24.24% thereafter
- No Annual Fee: The Discover it® NHL Card gives you the opportunity to talk hockey every time you check out—without having to pay an annual fee.
- Cash back your way: With the Discover it® NHL Card, you can redeem the cash back you’ve earned whenever you want—and it’ll never expire
- Peace of mind: You’re automatically protected against fraudulent charges on your Discover card and Discover will monitor your Social Security Number and alert you if your SSN is found on any of thousands of risky websites
- Redeem cash back with Apple Pay: Discover cardholders can now redeem the cash-back they earn on qualified purchases via Apple Pay. This is a great feature for cardholders looking for a quicker and easier way to redeem their cash back rewards
Skip it: If you spend a lot on your credit card or don’t want the hassle of planning your spending according to rotating rewards categories
In contrast to many cash back cards, rotating rewards offer cash back rates that are often higher but require you to keep track of the current category in order to maximize those rewards. If you’d rather be rewarded for everyday purchases throughout the year, a card that offers extra cash back for categories such as groceries, dining out, or gas may be a better fit.
The Discover it® NHL Card also isn’t designed to be a travel card, so while you won’t be charged overseas transaction fees, you won’t earn bonus rewards for travel purchases and might experience some difficulties with card acceptance outside of the U.S.
Consider these drawbacks of the Discover it® NHL Card:
- Big spenders will max out: Given the quarterly maximum of $1,500 that you’ll be able to earn 5% cash back on, those who spend a lot across the board may be better suited to a card with a higher rewards cap or with no limit on the amount of spending eligible for elevated cash back rewards
- Prior planning required: Given the Discover it® NHL Card’s rotating rewards categories, you’ll need to plan your purchases accordingly in order to maximize your 5% cash back
- No consistent rewards categories: With rotating rewards comes big bonuses in certain categories, but not a ton of consistency. If you’re looking to be rewarded for everyday purchases such as gas or groceries, you may be better off with a card that offers rewards in these categories all year long
- No welcome bonus: Unlike a typical welcome bonus, you’ll have to wait a year to redeem your cash back match with the Discover it® NHL Card. Many other cards offer statement credits, miles, or points bonuses as a reward for a certain level of spending within the first few months of having the card, which can be appealing if you’re hoping to make a large purchase shortly after opening the card
- Inconsistent international acceptance: Discover is generally less widely accepted internationally compared to Visa and Mastercard. If you’re looking for a one-card wonder for your travels, you may be better off looking elsewhere. That said, it can be helpful to always travel with two cards to maximize your chances of success
From discounted NHL.TV™ to up to 5% cash back, the Discover it® NHL Card can be a great option for moderate spenders looking to further support their favorite team and be rewarded for doing so. But it might not be a great fit if you’re looking for more consistency in rewards categories or if you spend above the quarterly cap.® NHL Card Review"/>