Our goal is to give you the tools and confidence you need to improve your finances. Although we receive compensation from our partner lenders, whom we will always identify, all opinions are our own. By refinancing your mortgage, total finance charges may be higher over the life of the loan.
Credible Operations, Inc. NMLS # 1681276, is referred to here as "Credible."
Hippo believes that homeowners deserve better, cheaper, more modern home insurance. They deliver a fast experience to quote and buy online, but what does that mean for you, the customer?
The company just completed an initial public offering (IPO) under the ticker symbol NYSE:HIPO and offers new home insurance products. Their 60-second quoting application is a HUGE improvement over industry giants like State Farm, which can require 126 questions to get a quote. But what other benefits does Hippo provide?
Here’s everything you need to know about Hippo Insurance:
- What’s protected with Hippo insurance?
- Hippo details and reviews
- Filing a claim with Hippo
- Where is Hippo available?
What’s protected with Hippo insurance?
Hippo offers a more comprehensive package than most standard home insurance policies. Some bonuses generally included in your Hippo policy:
- Equipment Breakdown ($100,000): Covers loss due to mechanical or electrical breakdown of HVAC equipment in your home.
- Water Backup Coverage ($10,000): Will cover damage from the backup of a drain that overflows into your home.
- Service Line Coverage ($10,000): If a utility line breaks under your lawn, you are technically responsible for fixing it, as you own the land. This coverage will step in to help with those costs.
- Computers ($8,000): Most homeowners policies have a limit of either $1,500 or $3,000 on computers and electronics. Hippo knows the modern home is only adding the number of computers, so they upgraded this coverage to a level more appropriate for the 21st century.
- Home Office Coverage ($8,000): Most homeowners policies will not cover any in-home business, and many carriers deny even quoting if any business activity is on the property. Hippo will cover you for a home office business as long as you don’t have any customers visiting the house.
- Domestic Workers (included): Nanny, babysitter, cook, maid. Nice to have if you can get it. Most people probably won’t be using this coverage, but hey, it’s nice to dream.
- Home Leak Detector (smart device): Hippo includes a monitoring device in their welcome package to new customers to monitor any leaks in the home. The water detector is a great way to reduce the risk of a water claim, unlocking value for both the customer and carrier.
It’s safe to say a Hippo policy brings you an extra layer of protection.
Hippo details and reviews
Hippo traditionally acted as Managing General Agency, but in 2020, Hippo acquired Spinnaker Insurance Company as their primary insurance carrier. Spinnaker Insurance is AM Best Rated A- and is available in the following states:
- Spinnaker Insurance: Hippo’s primary carrier for policies in AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, GA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MD, ME, MN, MO, MS, NH, NE, NJ, NM, NV, OH, PA, SC, TX, TN, VA, VT, and WI.
- Hippo historically has sold policies with TOPA Insurance in the following states: AZ, CA, CO, NV, OR, UT, and WA. TOPA Insurance carries an AM Best Rating: A-.
Filing a claim with Hippo
To file a claim, call Hippo’s claim concierge line: 855-999-9746.
Claims are a tricky part of the industry and are often why many homeowners have a bad experience with home insurance. Hippo is doing well with a strong focus on customer service. We rank them ahead of the pack when it comes to new entrants.
Where is Hippo available?
Hippo insurance is available in the following states:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- South Carolina
The excellent news is Hippo uses the same ISO standard form as the rest of the industry so that you can compare Hippo side-by-side with the established carriers. You might find Hippo has a better-suited offering for your coverage needs.
Disclaimer: All insurance-related services are offered through Young Alfred.