Citibank is a partner of Credible.
If you spend a lot of money on travel, dining out, or entertainment and are looking for a rewards card, then the Citi ThankYou® Premier Card could be just the card for you.
The Citi ThankYou® Premier Card earns 3X points on travel purchases and 2X points on dining out and entertainment. It also comes with a slew of travel-related benefits, making it a potentially good fit for frequent travelers.
- Earn 3X bonus points on travel-related purchases, 2X bonus points on purchases related to dining out and entertainment, and 1X bonus points on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees
- Many travel-related benefits
At a glance
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
on Citibank's website
- Earn more on travel purchases - redeem points for meaningful rewards
- Earn 3X Points on Travel, Including Gas Stations
- Earn 2X Points on Dining Out & Entertainment
- Earn 1X Points on All Other Purchases
- Points are redeemable for airfare on any airline, anytime with no blackout dates when booked through the ThankYou® Travel Center or for gift cards when redeemed at thankyou.com
- No expiration and no limit to the amount of points you can earn with this card
- Points Transfer allows you to transfer points to participating airline loyalty programs
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases*
1 Point Per Dollar
(Waived first year)
Citi ThankYou® Premier deep dive
For individuals who want a bonus point program that rewards them for making purchases related to travel, dining out, and entertainment, the Citi ThankYou® Premier Card is hard to beat.
But if you don’t like paying annual fees or are looking for an introductory APR offer, you might need to keep looking.
Get it: If you spend a lot of money on travel-related expenses, dining out, and entertainment.
Card users will earn 3X bonus points for every $1 spent on travel-related purchases, including purchases at airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, travel agencies, gas stations, commuter transportation (subway, railway, parking, tolls, etc.) and more. The fact that this card includes gas purchases in the travel category is a big plus for frequent travelers, as this is rarely included in bonus programs.
Cardholders can also earn 2X bonus points for every $1 spent on dining out, including at restaurants, lounges, and bars, or entertainment including concerts, sporting events, movies, amusement parks, theatrical productions, and more.
All other purchases made with the card will earn 1 point per dollar spent, which means you’re earning points towards your next reward. The points do not expire and there is no limit on how many points you can accrue.
Points are worth 25% more when redeemed for airfare through the ThankYou® Travel Center, a big draw to individuals who are likely to spend their rewards points on travel anyway.
Some of the benefits of the Citi ThankYou® Premier Card include:
- Earn 3X points on Travel, 2X on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X on all other purchases
- Points do not expire, and there is no limit to how many you can accrue. In addition, they are worth 25% more when redeemed for airfare through the ThankYou® Travel Center
- Citi Price Rewind: If you make a purchase with your card, search through Citi Price Rewind to make sure that the item was not available at an online merchant for a lower price. If the item is found at a lower price within 60 days of purchase, you may receive the difference
- Citi Private Pass®: Have access to purchase special tickets to concerts, sporting events, dining experiences, movie screenings, and more
- No Liability: You’re not held accountable for unauthorized purchases made with your card
- Purchase Protection: Purchases are protected against theft or damage for 120 days after purchase date (90 days for residents of New York). The card also extends the manufacturer’s warranty when used on eligible purchases
- No foreign transaction fees
- Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance: Cover yourself from accidents while you are traveling by paying for your trip with your Citi card
- Trip Cancellation and Interruption Protection: If you need to cancel or reschedule your trip, you may be reimbursed for non-refundable trip expenses and change fees, so long as you paid for the trip with your Citi card
- Lost Baggage Protection: If your carry-on or checked luggage is stolen, lost, or damaged during travel, you may be refunded the purchase price of the missing items or the cost to repair/replace damaged goods (whichever is less)
- Worldwide Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver: Be covered against theft or damage to your rental car when you pay for your rental with your Citi card and decline the rental company’s insurance
- Travel and Emergency Assistance: If trouble arises while you’re on a trip, emergency services are available 24/7, including emergency travel arrangements, travel issues, medical and legal referrals, and more
Skip it: If you do not spend a lot of money on travel, dining out or entertainment, if you are looking for a cash back card, or if you want an introductory APR offer for purchases and balance transfers.
Though the Citi ThankYou® Premier Card comes with a stellar rewards program especially valuable to frequent travelers, it does not come with any sort of introductory APR offer.
You will have an APR of 15.74% to 24.74%* (variable) on purchases and balance transfers from the moment you open your account (depending on your creditworthiness*). Additionally, balance transfers incur a fee of $5 or 3% of the amount transferred, whichever is higher.
So if you are looking for an interest-free introductory period in order to finance a large purchase or pay down debt from another high-interest card, then this isn’t the card for you.
The Citi ThankYou® Premier Card is also an expensive card to use to withdraw money: you’ll be charged a cash advance fee of 5% of each transaction or $10, whichever is greater. Additionally, you will pay a variable APR of 26.49% on cash advances, and when you use this card to get a cash advance, you start paying interest on that money right away.
The lack of foreign transaction fees also comes with a tradeoff: you will instead be responsible for a $95 annual fee, though this will be waived for the first 12 months.
Card users will get the most value out of their rewards points by redeeming them for airfare through the Citi ThankYou Travel Center, since points are worth 25% more when used in this way. Though travelers will love this perk, if you decide that you want to redeem your points for cash back or for non-travel related rewards, you won’t be getting the most value for your trade in.
Consider these drawbacks of the Citi ThankYou® Premier Card:
- Has an annual Fee: The annual fee is $95 per year, though this is waived for the first 12 months
- No introductory APR: There is no introductory APR for either purchases or balance transfers, meaning that you will have an APR of 15.74% to 24.74%* (variable) right from the get go. That means this is probably not a card that you want to carry a balance on. If for any reason you do miss a payment, you may be subject to a penalty APR of up to 29.99%
- Requires excellent credit to qualify
- Not great for withdrawing money: The Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card isn’t a great card to use for withdrawing money, since you’ll be charged a cash advance fee of $10 or 5% of the transaction, whichever is greater. It also has a 26.49% variable APR for cash advances, and when you use this card to get a cash advance, you start paying interest on that money right away
If you spend a lot of money on travel, dining out, and entertainment, or are looking for a rewards card that comes with many travel-related benefits, then the Citi ThankYou® Premier Card could be just what you are looking for. But if you want a card with an introductory APR, hate annual fees, or regularly make use of cash advances, you might want to check out some other cards.® Premier Card Review"/>