American Express is a partner of Credible. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
If groceries, gas, and department store purchases make up a significant portion of your monthly spending, it might be a good idea to consider the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express, which is a popular cash back option for these spending categories.
Here we’ll review some perks of the card, and also point out when a different card might be a better fit.
- $150 statement credit when you spend at least $1000 within three months of opening your account
- 3% cash back for the first $6,000 of US grocery store purchases per year (then 1%), 2% cash back for US gas station and select department store purchases, and 1% cash back for all other goods and services
- No annual fee
- 0% APR for the first 15 months, after which the APR increases to between 13.99% and 24.99%
At a glance
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
- $150 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- No annual fee.
- 3% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%).
- 2% cash back at U.S. gas stations and at select U.S. department stores, 1% back on other purchases.
- Low intro APR: 0% for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable rate, currently 13.99% to 24.99%.
- Expanding merchant acceptance: Over 1 million more places in the U.S. started accepting American Express® Cards in the last year.
- Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be easily redeemed for statement credits, gift cards, and merchandise.
- Terms Apply.
1% Cash Back
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express deep dive
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express is a solid cash back card that offers a reasonable welcome offer and good rewards rate, as well as no annual fee. But it’s not right for everybody.
Get it: If a significant chunk of your monthly spending goes towards groceries, gas and department store purchases, and you’re looking for a card without an annual fee
With 3% cash back on your first $6,000 in US supermarket spend and 2% back on US gas station and select department store purchases, this is a great card for those who spend around $500 per month on groceries, and who drive a fair amount. It might be worth taking a look at your spending in past months to gauge just how much cash back you’d get for a typical month of spending on this card.
This card could also be a good option for someone with, say, a travel rewards card already who would also like to be rewarded for day-to-day purchases such as groceries and gas, which often don’t accrue bonus points with travel rewards cards.
Some of the benefits of the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express include:
- $150 welcome offer statement credit: $1000 or more in spending during your first three months with the Blue Cash Everyday® card gets you a $150 statement credit
- No annual fee: With the Amex Blue Cash Everyday® Card, you won’t have to worry about redeeming enough cash back to counterbalance an annual fee
- 3%, 2%, 1% cash back, so all purchases are worth something: The first $6,000 in purchases per year at US supermarkets (excluding superstores and warehouse clubs) earn 3% cash back, while purchases at US gas station and select US department stores earn 2% (with no cap), and all other goods and services earn 1%. After your first $6,000 in US supermarket spending, your rewards rate will drop to 1% cash back
- No interest for 15 months: This card offers 0% APR for 15 months on both purchases and balance transfers. After your first year, the APR increases to a variable rate between 13.99% and 24.99% based on your creditworthiness and other factors at the time of your account opening
As with most financial products, these benefits come with additional Terms and Conditions. Please read them before you start using your Blue Cash Everyday® Card.
Skip it: If you spend more money on gas than on groceries, spend a significant amount on both, or plan to use this card for travel
This card offers a significant level of cash back for US supermarket purchases, so if this isn’t where you spend your money because you eat at restaurants all the time, you may be better served by a different card.
In addition, while the rewards rate on the Amex Blue Cash Everyday® Card is good for a no annual fee card, those who plan to spend a significant amount at US gas stations or US supermarkets may be better off paying a fee for a card that offers higher cash back rates.
Consider these downsides of the Blue Cash Everyday® Card:
- More valuable for home chefs than for commuters: If you’re in the market for a cash back credit card, it’s worth adding up your monthly spending to determine which card (and therefore which rewards rates) will maximize your value. This card offers 3% cash back on US supermarket purchases and 2% cash back on gas station and select department store purchases. Some cash back cards offer different cash back rates (3% for gas, 2% for US supermarket purchases), which may be a better fit for those who spend more on gas than on groceries
- No break on foreign transactions: As the Blue Cash Everyday® Card is focused on cash back rather than travel, there is 2.7% fee for foreign transactions after conversion to USD
- No option to redeem for travel: Some other American Express cards offer Membership Rewards ® points, which provide the option of redeeming your accrued points for anything from travel to concert tickets. The Blue Cash Everyday® Card, on the other hand, only offers cash back, so isn’t ideal for those looking for a variety of redemption options
- Capped cash back for groceries: Unlike some cash back cards, the Amex Blue Cash Everyday® caps the amount of spend on groceries that receive 3% cash back at $6,000 per year, meaning you can earn a maximum of $180 per year at that rewards rate (US supermarket purchases in excess of $6,000 receive 1% cash back)
A great cash back option for moderate spenders, the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express has no annual fee and offers generous cash back bonuses for US supermarket, gas station, and select department store purchases. Those looking for enhanced rewards for higher amounts of spending or travel rewards, however, may be better served by a different card.