Citibank is a partner of Credible.
If you’re carrying a large balance on a card with a high APR, it might be time to hunt for a treasured 0% APR on cash balances. The Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card sparkles in this area, offering new cardholders with good credit a 0% APR for 21 months on balance transfers. Plus, there’s no annual fee.
Here, we’ll discuss some of the pros and cons of the Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card to help you decide whether it’s the right card for you.
- 0% Intro APR on balance transfers for 21 months from date of first transfer. All transfers must be completed in first 4 months. After that the variable APR will be 14.24% – 24.24%, based on your creditworthiness*
- 0% Intro APR on purchases for 12 months from date of account opening. After that the variable APR will be 14.24% – 24.24%, based on your creditworthiness*
- No annual fee
- Travel and emergency assistance
- Concierge services to help with booking travel, getting tickets, and assist with your shopping needs
- Free monthly FICO® Score
At a glance
Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card– 21 Month Balance Transfer Offer
on Citibank's website
- 0% Intro APR on balance transfers for 21 months from date of first transfer. All transfers must be completed in first 4 months. After that the variable APR will be 14.24% - 24.24%, based on your creditworthiness*
- 0% Intro APR on purchases for 12 months from date of account opening. After that the variable APR will be 14.24% - 24.24%, based on your creditworthiness*
- If you transfer a balance with this offer, after your 0% Intro purchase APR expires, both new purchases and unpaid purchase balances will automatically accrue interest until all balances, including your transferred balance, are paid in full
- There is a balance transfer fee of either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- $0 liability on unauthorized purchases and Citi® Identity Theft Solutions
- No annual fee*
- Free access to FICO® Scores*
Balance Transfer Fee
Balance Transfer Intro APR
Intro Balance Transfer Period
Citi Diamond Preferred® deep dive
21 months of 0% APR for balance transfers make the Citi Diamond Preferred card an attractive long-term option.
Balance transfers do come at a price ($5 or 3% of the transfer amount, depending on which is greater), but it’s likely worth it to make the move away from high-interest cards.
Other benefits are those that come with every Citi® card, including purchase protection, concierge services, travel and emergency protection, as well as an updated monthly credit score. You’ll also make Citi® Easy Deals points with every purchase if you sign up for that program.
Get it: If you’re looking for a no-annual fee card that also offers you 21 months of 0% APR on balance transfers
Some of the benefits of the Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card include:
- A long APR free period: Citi® highlights this as a balance transfer card, and they are not messing around with the generous 21-month intro APR of 0% on transfers. You’ll have to make the transfer within four months of getting the card. The variable APR even after the generous intro period is still fairly reasonable at 14.24% based on creditworthiness*
- No annual fee: Even after the introductory period
- Know your score: Get your free updated FICO® score every month
- Citi® Price Rewind: This service performs a search for a lower price on your purchases 60 days after you buy it. If Citi® finds a price reduction, you’ll receive the difference credited to your card
- Citi® Private Pass: This can get you deals on event tickets (including presales), VIP access at concerts and sporting events, dining, free movie passes, and other experiences
- Citi® Concierge services: Citi’s experts are specially trained and can assist you with a wide variety of shopping needs
- Purchase protections: Including extended warranty, coverage for purchases that are damaged or stolen, and zero liability for unauthorized charges
Skip it: If you’re looking to get cash back, points, or a card that’s great for travel
Consider these drawbacks of the Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card:
- Pay for balance transfers: Balance transfers are a big draw for the Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card, but you will pay $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer (whichever is greater)
- Foreign fees: The Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card has a 3% international fee (calculated in dollars) for purchases and the domestic and international travel benefits offered are included with any Citi® card, so if you’re looking for travel perks check out some other options
- Cash advance fees: When it comes to cash withdrawals, brace yourself for a 26.49% variable APR and $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance (whichever is greater). You may be better off using this card strictly for charges. But remember, after the 21 month intro period is up, the APR is 14.24% to 24.24%* (variable) for balance transfers
- Late payment penalty: Don’t be late, miss a payment, or have one returned — the Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card Penalty variable APR of up to 29.99% may apply indefinitely if you fail to keep on top of things
If you’re carrying a large balance on a card with a high APR, The Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card can come to the rescue with their 21-month 0% APR offer.
That 0% APR also applies to purchases for 12 months, so if you want to finance a big buy or are facing an emergency coupled with a cash crunch, The Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card can offer some breathing room.
If travel and cash back is your jam, though, dig a little deeper.® Diamond Preferred® Card Review"/>