When it comes to no-annual fee cash back credit cards, the Discover it® Chrome Card offers a number of benefits for those who spend their money where the name suggests—on gas and at restaurants.
In this review, we’ll cover some key benefits of the card, as well as some downsides that may affect you if you’re not much of a commuter or restaurant-goer, or if you spend a lot on your credit card each month.
- New! Cardholders can now redeem the cash back rewards they earn on qualified purchases via Apple Pay
- New! Receive FREE Social Security number alerts—Discover will monitor thousands of risky websites when you sign up
- 2% cash back for gas and restaurant purchases for your first $1,000 in combined purchases per quarter, not including spending at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors, or discount stores. Plus, 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- INTRO OFFER: Discover will match ALL the cash back earned at the end of your first year, automatically, only available to new cardholders
- 0% introductory APR on both balance transfers and purchases for 14 months, after which the variable APR increases to between 12.24% and 24.24%
- No annual fee and no foreign transaction fees
- Redeem your cash back at any time
- Get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more
At a glance
Discover it® chrome
- INTRO OFFER: Discover will match ALL the cash back earned at the end of your first year, automatically.
- 2% cash back at restaurants and gas stations on up to $1,000 in combined purchases every quarter - no sign-ups needed. Plus, 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Redeem your cash back for any amount, any time. Cash rewards never expire.
- 100% U.S. based customer service.
- Get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more.
- New! Receive FREE Social Security number alerts-Discover will monitor thousands of risky websites when you sign up.
- No annual fee.
- Click "APPLY NOW" to see rates, rewards, FICO® Credit Score terms, Cashback Match™ details & other information.
1% Cash Back
Discover it® Chrome Card deep dive
A no annual fee cash back card with bonuses for restaurant and gas purchases and generous offers for your first year with the card, the Discover it® Chrome Card can earn you cash back for the purchases you already make. But it won’t maximize rewards for everyone, so make sure you understand its pros and cons before applying.
Get it: If a good portion of your spending goes towards gas and restaurants, you’d prefer not to pay an annual fee, and you’re looking for super simple rewards redemption
With twice the amount of cash back for gas and restaurant spending as for other purchases, this card could be a good fit for commuters and those who love eating out—likely less so for public transportation users and home chefs. On top of the extra cash back in these categories, the Discover it® Chrome Card has no annual fee, so you’ll never have to worry about whether you’ve redeemed enough cash back to cancel out a fee.
Some of the benefits of the Discover it® Chrome Card:
- A strong start with cash back match: Discover will match all of the cash back you’ve accrued in your first year, as long as you’re a new card member
- 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants: The Discover it® Chrome Card offers 2% cash back on the first $1,000 in combined gas and restaurant purchases per quarter, and 1% cash back on all other purchases. Retailers including warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors, and discount stores are not eligible for 2% cash back, and purchases at these locations (even if they are for food or gas) will receive 1% cash back. Plus, 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- 0% APR for 14 months: This introductory offer applies to both purchases and balance transfers, so the Discover it® Chrome Card card could be a good option if you’re looking to finance a major purchase or for a temporary escape from high-interest debt. A variable APR of 12.24% to 24.24% applies after 14 months, and a balance transfer fee of 3% is charged for all balance transfers
- A break from fees: With no annual fee, no foreign transaction fees, and no fee for your first late payment, you can worry less about unwanted charges from your Discover it® Chrome Card
- Cash back how you want it: Redeem your cash back as often or as little as you like, for any amount. Your cash back will not expire
- Peace of mind: You’re automatically protected against fraudulent charges on your Discover card and Discover will monitor your Social Security Number and alert you if your SSN is found on any of thousands of risky websites
- Redeem cash back with Apple Pay: Discover cardholders can now redeem the cash-back they earn on qualified purchases via Apple Pay. This is a great feature for cardholders looking for a quicker and easier way to redeem their cash back rewards
Skip it: If you spend a lot each month, do not purchase much gas or food from restaurants, or don’t have great credit
The Discover it® Chrome Card offers a good cash back rate and nice welcome bonus considering it’s annual fee-free, but big spenders may find a card with high rewards rates to be more valuable—and well worth the annual fee. Further, if you don’t spend much on gas or at restaurants, you won’t be able to take advantage of 2% cash back from using your card.
Consider these drawbacks of the Discover it® Chrome Card:
- Better rewards rates exist: If you’re looking for a card to spend a significant amount of money with, it may be worth paying an annual fee in order to access higher rewards rates. 2% cash back is a great deal for a no-fee card (and the cash back match for year one is a generous boost), but big spenders may gain more value from a higher rewards rate card even if it comes with an annual fee
- Spending cap for dining and gas rewards: The Discover it® Chrome card caps the amount of gas and restaurant purchases that receive 2% cash back at $1,000 total per quarter, which can be limiting for those who typically spend more in these categories
- Most valuable for dining and gas purchases: If dining out and/or gas don’t make up a significant chunk of your monthly spending, you won’t maximize the value of this card, as these are the only two categories that receive 2% cash back on the Discover it® Chrome Card. Those who spend more in categories such as travel, groceries, or shopping may be better served by a card that offers bonus points in those categories
- Low approval odds for poor credit: Discover defines average credit to be 670 or higher, so if you’re still working on building your credit, a different card may be a better option for now
With no annual fee, 2% cash back on gas and restaurant purchases (for your first $1,000 in purchases per quarter), and welcome offers that include 0% APR and cash back match for a year, the Discover it® Chrome Card will check a lot of boxes for many. But if you’re not a big restaurant and gas spender, or are looking for better rewards rates, you’ve certainly got options.® Chrome Card Review"/>