If you’re looking for a no annual fee travel rewards card with flexible redemption options, the Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card may be the card for you. Between a generous welcome bonus and ongoing rewards for all of your purchases, it’s hard to find something to dislike about this travel card.
This review will cover the Discover it® Miles Travel card’s benefits, as well as a highlight when you might find a different card to be of higher value given your spending habits.
- New! Cardholders can now redeem the cash back rewards they earn on qualified purchases via Apple Pay
- 1.5x miles per dollar on purchases made with your Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card
- Discover will match all the Miles you’ve earned at the end of your first year. For example, if you earn 30,000 Miles, you get 60,000 Miles
- 0% introductory APR for purchases and 10.99% APR for balance transfers for 14 months, after which the APR increases to 11.99% to 23.99%
- No annual fee, no foreign transaction fees
- Redemption in the form of statement credits for travel purchases or as a cash deposit into a bank account
- Redeem your Miles as a statement credit towards travel purchases
- Get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more
- New! Receive FREE Social Security number alerts—Discover will monitor thousands of risky websites when you sign up
At a glance
Discover it® Miles
on Discover Card's website
- We'll match all the Miles you've earned at the end of your first year. For example, if you earn 30,000 Miles, you get 60,000 Miles.
- Unlimited 1.5x Miles per dollar on all purchases, every day, with no annual fee.
- No Blackout Dates - fly any airline, stay at any hotel.
- Redeem your Miles as a statement credit towards travel purchases.
- Freeze your account in seconds with an on/off switch either on the mobile app or website to prevent new purchases, cash advances, and balance transfers.
- Get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more.
- New! Receive FREE Social Security number alerts-Discover will monitor thousands of risky websites when you sign up.
- No Annual Fee.
- Click "APPLY NOW" to see rates, rewards, FICO® Credit Score terms, Discover Match® details & other information.
1.5 Miles Per Dollar
Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card deep dive
The Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card is a great low-cost card that shares aspects of both travel and cash back cards, but it won’t provide the maximum value for everybody. Read on for details about the card’s benefits and rewards, as well as some drawbacks worth considering.
Get it: If you’re a moderate spender looking for unlimited opportunities to accrue miles, no annual fee, and flexible rewards
The Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card offers 1.5x miles per dollar on all qualifying purchases—no bonus tiers or category incentives as with some other cards. This makes it easy to accrue miles no matter where you spend your money and means you won’t have to worry about which categories of spending will earn you the most miles.
In addition, given the Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card has no annual fee, it could be a great option for serious point maximizers who are looking for a card to use in combination with another rewards card.
Many rewards cards offer a significant number of points or miles for spending in certain categories, and one point or mile for everything else, and could be used as a supplemental card for those “other” purchases to accrue 1.5x miles instead of 1x per dollar.
Lastly, the Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card offers mile redemption in two forms, giving cardholders maximum flexibility.
Some of the benefits of the Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card include:
- Mile matching for year one: Discover will match the miles you earn on purchases for your first 12 billing cycles, giving you an effective rewards rate of 3x miles per dollar for year one with the card. This offer only applies for new cardmembers
- Unlimited 1.5x miles on purchases: After the first year, all purchases on your Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card earn 1.5 miles, excluding cash advances, balance transfers, and cash you receive with a purchase at the point of sale
- No foreign transaction fees: With a Discover credit card, you won’t be charged a fee for foreign transactions, so you can travel internationally worry-free.
Intro APRs to write home about: While many travel cards don’t come with introductory APR offers, the Discover it® Miles Travel card offers 0% APR on purchases and 10.99% APR on balance transfers for 14 months. The APR increases to between 11.99% and 23.99% after 14 months. This makes it a good option for someone looking to finance a large purchase interest-free or who needs a respite from high-interest debt
- No annual fee: Unlike many travel cards, this card has no annual fee. This could be attractive if you’re worried that you won’t spend enough (and therefore redeem enough rewards) to make up for a fee
- Flexible redemption options: Points accrued on your Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card can be redeemed as statement credits toward travel purchases made on the card. Alternatively, you can request a cash deposit into an account of your choosing. Either way, each mile is worth one cent
- Peace of mind: You’re automatically protected against fraudulent charges on your Discover card and Discover will monitor your Social Security Number and alert you if your SSN is found on any of thousands of risky websites
- Redeem cash back with Apple Pay: Discover cardholders can now redeem the cash-back they earn on qualified purchases via Apple Pay. This is a great feature for cardholders looking for a quicker and easier way to redeem their cash back rewards
Skip it: If you’re a big spender, are looking for high rewards levels in certain spending categories, or you’re working on your credit score
While a rewards rate of 1.5x miles for all purchases is great for a no-annual fee card, it’s not very high compared to some other cards that do charge a fee. Accordingly, if you plan to spend a significant amount on your new card, it may be well worth paying for one that offers more rewards per dollar spent.
In addition, these 1.5x points apply for all purchases, meaning you won’t receive elevated rewards for particular categories of spending (such as travel). A number of other cards offer fewer rewards across the board, but significantly higher rewards rates in specific categories, which can be a better fit if your spending is concentrated in one area.
Consider these drawbacks of the Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card:
- International acceptance may be an issue: While Discover is accepted in many countries, this doesn’t necessarily mean that individual merchants will accept your card. If you travel abroad frequently, you may encounter issues with Discover card acceptance, so it might be worth traveling with a Visa or Mastercard as a backup
- Good, not great, rewards rate: If you’re a big spender, you may be better served by a travel card with a higher rewards rate. With higher rewards rates typically come annual fees, but these can be more than made up for if you spend significantly on the card
- No miles bonuses for travel purchases: While points from your spending on the Discover it® Miles Travel Credit can be redeemed as statement credits to reimburse travel expenses, those travel purchases aren’t awarded any bonus miles when they’re made. Some other cards, such as the Platinum Card® from American Express, offer bonus miles for spending on travel expenses—in the case of the AmEx Platinum Card®, five points per dollar on airline purchases booked through airlines or through American Express Travel
- Not for those with poor credit: The Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card is generally for those with good to excellent credit, which Discover defines as 670 or above. If your credit score is below 670, it’s probably not a great idea to apply for this card, as the hard credit pull made when you apply can hurt your credit score
Between a generous welcome offer, no annual fee, unlimited ways to accrue miles, and easy redemption for rewards, the Discover it® Miles Travel Credit Card is an easy way to dip your toes into the world of travel rewards if you’re not a big spender and you have a credit score above 670.