If you are looking for a credit card that earns bonus points for air travel, hotels, dining out and entertainment, then the Citi Prestige® Card might be for you. It earns 3X bonus points on air travel and hotels, 2X bonus points on dining out and entertainment, and 1X points on all other purchases.
Additionally, it comes with a long list of travel-related benefits, and new card users are eligible to earn 75,000 bonus points after spending $7,500 in the first three months after account openings. However, these benefits do come with a rather high $450 annual fee.
If you’re somebody who expects a lot out of their credit card and you’re willing to pay a premium for those benefits, Citi Prestige® might be just the card for you.
- New card users can earn 75,000 bonus points after spending $7,500 in the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 3X points on air travel and hotels, 2X points on dining out and entertainment, and 1X points on all other purchases
- $450 annual fee for primary card user and $50 annual fee for each additional authorized user
At a glance
Citi Prestige® Card
on Citibank's website
- Earn 75,000 bonus points after you spend $7,500 within the first 3 months of account opening. Points are redeemable for over $900 in airfare on any airline, anytime with no blackout dates when booked through the ThankYou® Travel Center or $750 in gift cards from the ThankYou® Rewards Collection.
- $250 Air Travel Credit each year, and receive a statement credit, up to $100 every 5 years, as reimbursement for your application fee for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck.
- Complimentary 4th night stay at any hotel of your choice booking through the Citi Prestige® Concierge.
- Enjoy complimentary lounge access at hundreds of VIP lounges through Priority Pass™ Select.
- Earn 3X ThankYou Points on air travel and hotels.
- Earn 2X ThankYou Points on dining out and entertainment.
- Earn 1X ThankYou Points on all other purchases.
- The information related to Citi Prestige® Card credit card has been compiled by Credible and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card.
1 Point Per Dollar
Citi Prestige® Card deep dive
For individuals who like to travel and treat themselves with a night on the town, the Citi Prestige® Card is hard to beat.
Unfortunately, the card does come with a high annual fee of $450, potentially putting it out of reach for some.
Get it: If you are looking for a credit card that will reward you for spending on air travel, hotels, dining out, and entertainment, are a frequent traveler and have excellent credit
Card users will earn 3X bonus points for every $1 spent on air travel and hotels. On top of this, you will earn 2X bonus points for every $1 spent on dining out, including restaurants, bars, and lounges, and on entertainment spending like concerts, sporting events movies, amusement parks, and more.
All other purchases made with the card will earn 1 point per dollar spent. The points do not expire and there is no limit on how many you can accrue.
New card users are eligible to earn 75,000 bonus points after making $7,500 in purchases within 3 months from account opening.
Some of the benefits of the Citi Prestige® Card include:
- Earn 75,000 bonus points: Earn 75,000 bonus points after spending $7,500 within the first 3 months of account opening
- Earn 3X points on Air Travel and Hotels, 2X on Dining Out and Entertainment, and 1X on all other purchases
- Points do not expire: There is no limit to how many points you can accrue
- Citi Price Rewind: If you make a purchase with your card, search through Citi Price Rewind to make sure that the item was not available at an online merchant for a lower price. If the item is found at a lower price with 60 days of purchase, you may receive the difference
- Citi Private Pass®: Get access to purchase special tickets to concerts, sporting events, dining experiences, movie screenings, and more
- No Liability: You won’t be held accountable for unauthorized purchases made with your card
- Purchase Protection: Purchases are protected against theft or damage for 120 days after the purchase date (90 days for residents of New York). The card also extends the manufacturer’s warranty when used on eligible purchases
- Metal card: Makes a statement and is more durable than plastic
- No foreign transaction fees
- Complimentary 4th night: When you book 4 consecutive nights at any hotel through ThankYou.com or Citi Prestige Concierge, receive your fourth night free (value based on the average nightly cost of your stay). Does not include taxes or fees, but there is no limit to the value of the complimentary night
- $250 credit on air travel: You have an automatic $250 air travel credit that can be applied to flight-related expenses charged to your card, including tickets, upgrades, baggage fees, and more
- Airport lounge access: Card users have access to hundreds of VIP lounges through Priority Pass Select
- Global Entry/TSA Statement credit: Card users will receive a statement credit of up to $100 every 5 years as reimbursement for application fees for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck
- Points are transferable: You can transfer points to certain hotel and airline loyalty programs including Hilton Honors, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, TrueBlue, and Virgin Atlantic Flying Club. The minimum transfer is 1,000 points, and there is no fee
- Worldwide Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver: You’ll be covered against theft or damage to your rental car when you pay for your rental with your Citi card and decline the rental company’s insurance
- Lost Baggage Protection: If your carry-on or checked luggage is stolen, lost, or damaged during travel, you may be refunded the purchase price of the missing items or the cost to repair/replace damaged goods (whichever is less)
- Baggage Delay Protection: If your checked baggage is delayed by more than 3 hours on a trip paid for with your card or ThankYou points, you may be reimbursed the cost of replacing any essential personal and business items (up to $500 per covered traveler per trip)
- Trip Cancellation and Interruption Protection: If you need to cancel or reschedule your trip, you may be reimbursed for non-refundable trip expenses and change fees, so long as you paid for the trip with your Citi card
- Travel and Emergency Assistance: If trouble arises while you’re on a trip, emergency services are available 24/7 including emergency travel arrangements, travel issues, medical and legal referrals, and more
- Medical Evacuation: if you have a serious medical emergency while traveling, and you paid for your trip at least in part with your card or ThankYou points, you may be covered up to $100,000 in costs to get you home or to the proper medical facility
Skip it: If you don’t spend a lot of money on air travel, hotels, dining out, or entertainment, if you do not want to pay a high annual fee, or if you are looking for an introductory APR on balance transfers and purchases
The Citi Prestige® Card comes with a rather high annual fee of $450 for the primary card user and $50 for each additional authorized user, making this card rather expensive. And though the 75,000 bonus points may sound tempting, spending $7,500 on purchases within 3 months may not be so easy for the average spender.
Though the Citi Prestige® Card comes with a generous rewards program that frequent travelers will love, it doesn’t have an introductory APR. You will have a variable APR of 16.74% to 24.74% on purchases and balance transfers from the moment you open your account (depending on your creditworthiness). Additionally, balance transfers incur a fee of $5 or 3% of the amount transferred, whichever is higher.
If you frequently make use of cash advances, you may want to find a card with a cheaper cash advance fee. With the Citi Prestige® Card, you’ll be charged a cash advance fee of 5% of each transaction or $10, whichever is greater. Cash advances have a variable APR of 26.24%, and when you use this card to get a cash advance, you start paying interest on that money right away.
Consider these drawbacks of the Citi Prestige® Card:
- Has a high annual fee: The card comes with a rather high $450 annual fee for primary card holders and $50 for each authorized user. That’s a hefty price
- Must make $7,500 in purchases within 3 months from account opening to earn 75,000 bonus points: Not the easiest feat for the average spender
- No introductory APR: There is no introductory APR for either purchases or balance transfers, meaning that you will have a variable APR of 16.74% to 24.74% right from the get. That means this is not a card that you want to carry a balance on. If for any reason you do miss a payment, you may be subject to a penalty APR of 29.99%
- Balance transfer fee: You must pay $5 or 3% of the amount transferred, whichever is greater
- Requires excellent credit to qualify
- Not great for withdrawing money: The Citi Prestige® Card isn’t a great card to use for withdrawing money, since you’ll be charged a cash advance fee of $10 or 5% of the transaction, whichever is greater. It also has a 26.24% variable APR for cash advances, and when you use this card to get a cash advance, you start paying interest on that money right away
- 3X points for travel only applies to air travel and hotels
If you are looking for a credit card that will reward you for spending on air travel, hotels, dining out, and entertainment, and which comes with great travel-related benefits, then the Citi Prestige® Card is hard to beat. But if you do not spend heavily in these categories, do not want to pay a $450 annual fee, are not a frequent traveler, or don’t think you can spend $7,500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening to earn the 75,000 bonus points, you might want to check out some other cards.