Citibank is a partner of Credible.
If you’re looking for a way to accelerate your AAdvantage® mile earnings, the Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold World Elite™ Mastercard® offers a low-cost way to earn points to use towards American Airlines flights, as well as a number of welcome offers and perks.
But it’s not the card for everyone — the card comes with an annual fee, and those who travel and spend a lot may be better served by a card that offers higher rewards rates.
Read on for our review of the Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold World Elite™ Mastercard®, including some benefits and drawbacks to take into account as you decide on your next credit card.
- No annual fee for the first year, after which it increases to $50 per year
- 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months, after which APR increases to between 16.99% and 24.99% based on your creditworthiness
- 25,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles for cardholders who spend at least $750 on their new card within three months
- Earn one mile per dollar spent on purchases made on the American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles
- Save up to 5,000 miles when you redeem miles for trips to select destinations
At a glance
Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold World Elite™ Mastercard®
on Citibank's website
- 0% Intro APR on balance transfers and purchases for 15 months; after that, the variable APR will be 16.99% - 24.99% based on your creditworthiness*
- There is a balance transfer fee of either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Earn 25,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $750 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- Receive 25% savings on in-flight food and beverage purchases when you use your card on American Airlines flights*
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile for every $1 spent on purchases
- Reduced Mileage Awards: Fly for 5,000 fewer AAdvantage® miles roundtrip to select destinations
1 Mile Per Dollar
(Waived first year)
Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold World Elite™ Mastercard® deep dive
American Airlines travelers looking to earn even more AAdvantage® miles can benefit from using the Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold World Elite™ Mastercard® on everyday purchases, and the card comes with a generous welcome offer and introductory interest rate and annual fee offers.
But it won’t maximize rewards for big spenders willing to pay a higher annual fee, so be sure to understand its benefits and drawbacks.
Get it: If you’re looking to earn points that you can use towards American Airlines flights for a low annual fee
The Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold World Elite™ Mastercard® is a low-cost card that allows you to earn American Airlines miles for all your purchases, and redeem those miles for flights with American Airlines and affiliated carriers.
In addition, the Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold World Elite™ Mastercard® offers 15 months of 0% APR for both purchases and balance transfers, so it could be a good option if you’re looking to transfer a high-interest balance from a different card, or if you’d like to finance a large purchase for zero interest for a period of time. If you do take advantage of either of these options, however, do your best to pay off any balance from purchases or balance transfers before the 15 months is up.
Some of the benefits of the Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold World Elite™ Mastercard® include:
- A welcome offer you’ll love: Earn 25,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles when you spend at least $750 on purchases in your first three months with the card. This is enough to cover a round-trip domestic MileSAAver® flight with American Airlines. In order to be eligible for these bonus miles, you must not have opened or closed a Citi® / AAdvantage® card (excluding CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® cards) within the last 24 months
- Purchase and balance transfer APR breaks: Enjoy 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers made within 15 months of when you opened the account. After the introductory APR period runs out, your creditworthiness will determine an APR between 16.99% and 24.99%. Balance transfers made at any time are subject to a fee of $5 or 3% of the transfer amount, whichever is greater
- Miles on every purchase: Earn one mile for every $1 spent on purchases. Purchases exclude returns, interest charges, cash advances, convenience checks, transferred balances, credits, and card fees
- Save miles on select trips: Save up to 5,000 AAdvantage® miles when you book a trip to select destinations, which rotate every other month. The amount you save may be less if you only book a one-way ticket, or if you travel less than 1,000 miles for a round trip
- Travel perks: Save 25% on in-flight food and drink purchases made on your Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold World Elite™ Mastercard® on American Airlines-operated flights. In addition, enjoy no blackout dates when you book reward travel with American Airlines or American Eagle
Skip it: If you’re looking for a no-fee card, or you’re willing to pay more for elevated travel rewards
Those unsure if they’ll use their card enough to make an annual fee worth it should look for no-annual-fee cards. There are many of these within the travel category, such as the BankAmericard Travel Rewards® Credit Card and the JetBlue Card.
Or, if you’re a frequent American Airlines traveler looking for premium treatment, you may be better suited to the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®.
Consider the drawbacks of the Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold World Elite™ Mastercard®:
- An annual fee: The Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold World Elite™ Mastercard® comes with a $50 annual fee (waived for the first year), so those looking for a no-fee option might be better suited to a different travel rewards card
- Not the best rewards rate: The Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold World Elite™ Mastercard® offers a flat rewards rate for all purchases, so spending more on American Airlines flights won’t get you any big bonuses
- Premium treatment not included: While many co-branded airline cards offer perks like priority boarding and lounge access to cardholders, having the Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold World Elite™ Mastercard® won’t get you very far in this regard. While perks like lounge access are often enough for cardholders to justify an annual fee, you’ll have to derive value just from earning miles on this card
- Foreign transactions will cost you: While American Airlines flights may get you outside of the country, it’s not a great idea to use your Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold World Elite™ Mastercard® while abroad, as any purchases will incur a transaction fee of 3%.
A solid travel rewards card, the Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold World Elite™ Mastercard® offers American Airlines travelers the chance to earn points to use towards future flights just by using their card for everyday spending.
Those looking for a high-rewards rate card with premium perks, however, might be better off looking elsewhere, as the Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold World Elite™ Mastercard® charges a comparatively low annual fee and therefore offers fewer bonus miles and benefits when you travel.