Citibank is a partner of Credible.
If you’re a college student who dines out frequently or often goes to shows, concerts, and sporting events, the Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card for College Students might be just the card for you.
The Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card earns you 2 ThankYou® rewards points for every $1 spent on dining out and entertainment, and 1 point on all other purchases. And to top things off, new card users will earn 2,500 bonus points after making $500 in purchases with the card in the first 3 months of account opening.
- Earn 2X reward points for every $1 spent on dining out and entertainment, and 1 reward point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- Earn 2,500 bonus points after making $500 in purchases with the card in the first 3 months of account opening
- Points do not expire
- No annual fee
- 0% introductory APR for 7 months after account opening for purchases
At a glance
Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card for College Students
on Citibank's website
- Earn 2,500 bonus points after spending $500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- 2,500 ThankYou® Points are redeemable for $25 in gift cards, electronics and other great rewards when redeemed at thankyou.com
- Earn 2X Points on Dining Out & Entertainment
- Earn 1X Points on All Other Purchases
- No expiration and no limit to the amount of points you can earn with this card
- Travel with ease and enjoy global acceptance with Chip Technology
- No annual fee*
1 Point Per Dollar
Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card for College Students deep dive
For college students who live by the motto of “treat yourself,” the Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card for College Students is hard to beat.
Those intending to study abroad, though, may want to keep looking: this card comes with a foreign transaction fee, which may be off-putting to travelers.
Get it: If you are a college student who enjoys trying new restaurants or spends a lot on entertainment.
The Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card earns you 2 points for every $1 spent on eating out at restaurants (take out included!), bars, and lounges, as well as on entertainment such as theatrical productions, concerts, sporting events, amusement parks, movies, and more.
All other purchases made with the card will earn 1 point per dollar spent. Points do not expire and there is no limit on how many you can accrue.
New card users will also earn 2,500 bonus points after making $500 in purchases with the card in the first 3 months of account opening, which is a big deal: sign-up bonuses are rare for student cards.
Some of the benefits of the Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card for College Students include:
- 2,500 bonus points: Earn this bonus after making $500 in purchases with the card in the first 3 months of account opening
- No annual fee
- 0% introductory APR: No interest on purchases for 7 months after opening your account. After that, you will pay an APR of 15.74% to 25.74%* (variable) based on your creditworthiness*
- Citi Price Rewind: If you make a purchase with your card, search through Citi Price Rewind to make sure that the item was not available at an online merchant for a lower price. If the item is found at a lower price with 60 days of purchase, you may receive the difference
- Citi Private Pass®: Have special access to purchase special tickets to concerts, sporting events, dining experiences, movie screenings, and more
- No Liability: You won’t be held accountable for unauthorized purchases made with your card
- Purchase Protection: Purchases are protected against theft or damage for 120 days after purchase date (90 days for residents of New York). The card also extends the manufacturer’s warranty when used on eligible purchases
- Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance: Cover yourself for accidents while you are traveling by paying for your trip with your Citi card
- Trip Cancellation and Interruption Protection: If you need to cancel or reschedule your trip, you may be reimbursed for non-refundable trip expenses and change fees, so long as you paid for the trip with your Citi card
- Worldwide Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver: Be covered against theft or damage to your rental car when you pay for your rental with your Citi card and decline the rental company’s insurance
Skip it: If you are a college student who eats most meals in the student dining hall, or if you tend not to go to shows or concerts very often.
While the Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card for College Students has a 0% introductory APR on purchases for 7 months after account opening, this jumps up to a 15.74% to 25.74%* (variable) APR based on your creditworthiness* after the introductory period is over—a pretty hefty APR for the average cash-strapped college student.
There is no introductory period for balance transfers, which will incur a 15.74% to 25.74%* (variable) APR for balance transfers completed within 2 months of account opening. Additionally, balance transfers incur a fee of $5 or 4% of the amount transferred, whichever is higher.
The Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card for College Students also isn’t the best card to use to withdraw money, since you’ll be charged a cash advance fee of 5% of each transaction or $10, whichever is greater. You will pay a variable APR of 26.49% on cash advances, and when you use this card to get a cash advance, you start paying interest on that money right away.
Students who plan to study abroad in college won’t be happy that card use outside the US comes with fees: foreign transactions incur a penalty of 3% of each transaction (in US dollars). That’ll take a bite out of your globe-trotting budget for sure.
Consider these drawbacks of the Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card for College Students:
- Only 1 point per $1 spent on any purchase not included in the dining out or entertainment categories
- Some exemptions do apply to the dining out and entertainment categories: You won’t earn 2X Points for purchases made at bakeries, certain restaurants/cafes inside department, grocery or warehouse stores, sporting camps, public and private golf courses, country clubs (including membership fees), stores that sell musical instruments, video game arcades, bowling alleys, stores that primarily sell video games/accessories, charitable organizations that provide live entertainment, bookstores, and sports complexes where you participate in the sport
- Not a travel-friendly card: Travelers who frequently find themselves out of the United States may want to find a different card, as foreign transactions incur a 3% fee
- Medium to high interest rate: With an APR of 15.74% to 25.74%* (variable) on purchases after the introductory 7 months, this is not a card that you want to carry a balance on. And if for any reason you miss a payment, you may lose your introductory APR and be subject to a variable penalty APR of 29.99%
- No introductory APR for Balance Transfers: You will be charged a 15.74% to 25.74%* (variable) APR for balance transfers completed within 2 months of account opening, and balance transfers will also incur a fee of $5 or 4% of the amount transferred, whichever is higher
- Not great for withdrawing money: The Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card for College Students isn’t a great card to use for withdrawing money, since you’ll be charged a cash advance fee of $10 or 5% of the transaction, whichever is greater. It also has a 26.49% variable APR for cash advances, and when you use this card to get a cash advance, you start paying interest on that money right away
If you are a college student looking for a rewards card and you eat out often or find yourself at concerts, shows, and other kinds of entertainment, the Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card for College Students is hard to beat. But if you rely on dining hall grub, are focused more on your studies than entertainment, or plan on studying abroad, you might want to check out some other cards.® Preferred Card for College Students Review"/>