Our goal is to give you the tools and confidence you need to improve your finances. Although we receive compensation from our partner lenders, whom we will always identify, all opinions are our own. Credible Operations, Inc. NMLS # 1681276, is referred to here as "Credible."
SoFi and Prosper are two companies that offer personal loans with competitive interest rates and no prepayment penalties. However, there are some major differences between the companies that could affect your decision on which one to choose.
In this post:
SoFi vs. Prosper
Here’s a comparison of both lenders so you can make an informed choice.
Compare personal loan rates from SoFi, Prosper, and more in 2 minutes
Find My Rates Now
Checking rates won’t affect your credit
Prosper personal loans
- Anyone who needs to consolidate debt
- Anyone looking for more flexible loan options
- Anyone with less than perfect credit
Prosper is a peer-to-peer lending company, meaning it matches people seeking out personal loans with individual investors who are willing to find loans. Whether you’re looking to pay for your dream wedding or finance a medical expense, Prosper offers flexible loan options to meet your needs.
- Lower credit requirements: As a peer-to-peer lender, Prosper’s recommended minimum credit score is just 640, increasing your chances of qualifying for a loan. So even if you don’t have perfect credit history, you have a chance to qualify.
- Smaller loans available: While SoFi requires you to borrow at least $5,000, Prosper offers personal loans as small as $2,000.
- Origination fees: Prosper charges an origination fee between 2.4% and 5% of the amount you borrow.
- Cosigners not accepted: If you don’t meet the minimum requirements, you don’t have the option of adding a cosigner to your loan application.
- No autopay discount: While Prosper allows you to sign up for automatic payments, there’s no interest rate discount available.
For more information, check out our Prosper personal loans review.
SoFi personal loans
- Anyone who needs to consolidate debt
- Anyone looking for larger loans
- Anyone wanting a variable-rate loan
Whether you’re looking for a debt consolidation loan or need to finish a home improvement project, SoFi has you covered. You can borrow up to $100,000 and SoFi has no fees: no origination fee, prepayment penalty, or late payment fee. The lender also offers both variable and fixed interest rates.
- Longer loan terms: SoFi offers loan terms as long as seven years. With a longer loan term, you’ll pay more in interest fees, but you’ll get a more affordable monthly payment.
- Unemployment protection: SoFi has an Unemployment Protection program. If you qualify, you can postpone your loan payments for three months at a time, up to 12 months.
- Cosigners accepted: SoFi is one of the few personal loan companies that allows you to use a cosigner. A cosigner — typically a friend or relative with good credit and stable income — can increase your chances of qualifying for a loan and can help you get a lower interest rate.
- Autopay discount: Sign up for automatic payments from your bank account and SoFi will give you a 0.25% discount.
- Not available to all U.S. residents: Unfortunately, SoFi loans are not available to residents in Mississippi.
- You need good to excellent credit: With SoFi, you typically need a credit score of at least 700 to qualify for a loan. Otherwise, you’ll need a cosigner.
- Higher loan minimum: If you need just a few thousand dollars, SoFi may not be for you, since the minimum you can borrow is $5,000.
For more information, check out our SoFi personal loans review.
Deciding on a personal loan lender
Taking out a personal loan can help you achieve your goals. But before submitting your loan application with online lenders like SoFi or Prosper, compare a variety of factors (like the application process, late fees, and rates) from multiple personal loan lenders so you can find the best loan for you.
It’s also a good idea to consider how much a personal loan might cost you over time. Before you borrow, estimate how much you’ll pay for a loan using our personal loan calculator below.
Enter your loan information to calculate how much you could pay
With a $ loan, you will pay $ monthly and a total of $ in interest over the life of your loan. You will pay a total of $ over the life of the loan.
Need a personal loan?
Compare rates without affecting your credit score. 100% free!
Checking rates won’t affect your credit score.
If you’re ready to take out a personal loan, be sure to shop around and consider as many lenders as possible. Credible allows you to compare SoFi, Prosper, and multiple other lenders by filling out a single form. We also use a soft credit check which means checking rates won’t affect your credit.
See More: LendingClub Personal Loans Review
The company above is one of Credible’s approved partner lenders. Because they compete for your business through Credible, you can request prequalified rates from them by filling out a single form. Then, you can compare your available options side-by-side. Requesting prequalified rates is free and doesn’t affect your credit score. Credible receives compensation if you close a loan with one of our partner lenders. The rates you receive and the fees you pay (if any) are not impacted by this compensation.